Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2014

WIP Wednesday: Sternequilt - Wonky-Starquilt

A new little, big wonder has moved into my home: A Janome Horizont MC 8200 QC sewing maschine. Still without a real name, but that won't last. For our first date I have picked up a very old WIP from a class in 2010. A churchwindow - wonky-star quilt.

Bei mir zu Hause ist ein kleines, großes Wunder eingezogen: Eine Janome Horizont MC 8200 QC. Einen echten Namen hat sie noch nicht, aber das kommt sicherlich noch ...

Für unser erstes Kennenlernen habe ich ein WIP ausgepackt: uralt - in einem Patchwork Kurs 2010 begonnen. Ein Sternequilt mit der Faltschablone. 

Hier ein Bild des Musterquilts vom Kurs
Picture of the class model



Und nun mein aktueller Zwischenstand
My own blocks


But two questions sill remain: Whilst cutting the blocks to a square, three had to be eliminated. So I have those "holes". I am considering to fill them with a smaller wonky star block, as sketched. Do these blocks fit in? And I am still unsure about the opitimal size. Without the border - which I would prefer - the quilt would measure 28 x 42 inches. As I want to sell the quilt on DaWanda cause I prefer different colors at the moment. So maybe a new baby or a toddler would enjoy it. Is that enought? Or too small? Should I make more blocks or add a small border like the utmost one of the model?

Ein paar Haken hat das Ganze noch: Beim Zuschneiden auf die maximale quadratische Form sind leider zwei leere Blöcke mangels Größe und ein Stern aufgrund zu langer Zacken rausgeflogen. Da war'n es nur noch 21. 

Meine Idee ist im Moment, die drei Lücken mit kleineren, schiefen Sternen zu füllen, siehe skizziertem Block. Ich fand beim Nähen die Idee toll, dass auch noch kleinere Sterne auf der Decke sind und dadurch alles noch etwas chaotischer ist.

Ansonsten plagt mich noch die Größe. Ich bin kein großer Fan von den Rändern. Ich wollte den Quilt nur aus den Blöcken ohne die Ränder nähen. Leider sind die Blöcke deutlich kleiner geworden, als erhofft. Die Blockgröße ist 7 inch fertig. Dann wäre der Quilt 28 x 42 inch groß - also ca. 70 x 105 cm. 

Da ich inzwischen die Farben nicht mehr so gerne mag und deshalb vermutlich die Decke auf DaWanda verkaufen möchte, frag ich mich nun, ob die Größe ausreicht oder ob ich noch Blöcke oder halt doch einen Rand ergänze.

Was denkt ihr? Passen die kleineren wonky-stars gut dazu? Wie steht's um die Größe? Und falls noch ergänzt werden sollte: Blöcke, Rand...

Geht's Euch eigentlich auch so, dass diese Entscheidungen immer so schwierig und manchmal zeitintensiv sind? 

Always those questions - do you have the same problem with deciding these "small" things as well?

6 Kommentare:

  1. Hi, I love those stars and think the smaller stars would look great mixed in with the larger ones. I think size wise, it might be ok, if selling as a toddler/baby quilt. I hope you decide on all your little queries. I also love that you take the time to translate your blog for people! My husband is German so I'm always trying to improve my German language skills, must pop back and read your blog some more! Lou

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Ooh, I love those stars! The size does feel a bit small, but for a baby toddler, it might work.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. There's always at least one point in a quilt where I have to get a consult from my quilting friends - either in person or on the internet! I think 28 by 42 would be a lovely size for a toddler play quilt. And what toddler wouldn't want to play on that one? :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Those stars are really gorgeous-28x42 is smallish, but as others said, for a baby probably okay...

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Love your blocks. The way you tilted them adds so much visual interest. In my opinion, a quilt should be at least 36" by 40". That way the quilt can be used for a couple of years before the baby outgrows it.

    AntwortenLöschen